South African National Committee
In 2005 the former Minister of Arts and Culture Mr Z. Pallo Jordan appointed a National Committee for Memory of the World comprising of members from the heritage sector including the South Africa UNESCO Office. The committee’s responsibilities are to advise the Minister on issues related to the programme and to review and recommend nominations to be submitted for enlisting in the Memory of the World International Register.
The committee's mandate amongst others are:
- Receive and assess the nominations on the South African National Register and on UNESCO’s International Register;
- Work in close co-operation with governmental and non-governmental organizations in establishing the South African National Register (Database);
- Maintain the South African Memory of the World Register database;
- Advise the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture about nominations that could be forwarded to UNESCO for possible listing in the International Register;
- Forward nominations to International Advisory Committee (IAC) of the Memory of the World Programme for entry on the International Register;
- Raise awareness and promote the work of Memory of the World Programme (Engage the Public Broadcaster, SABC for assistance in this regard);
- Encourage and attempt to gain both government and non-governmental financial support (sponsorship);
- Work in close cooperation with governmental and non-governmental organizations to identify and substantiate recommendations to remove entries from the International Register;
- Monitor all Memory of the World activities taking place in South Africa; and
- Encourage other African countries, to establish their National Committees for the Programme.
Both institutions and individuals are welcome to submit collections in their holdings for inclusion on the National Register. For more information on how to submit please contact either Ms Khanyi Ngcobo at email@example.com or Adv Dennis Maake at firstname.lastname@example.org.